November 29, 2006

A message from my brother

A few days ago, my brother got quite badly injured in the playoffs of Season 6 in the West Island Muslim hockey league. The description of the incident and ensuing injury was quite gruesome to hear, and was certainly much worse for those who saw it. I haven't been home yet to see the extent of the injury, but alhamdolillah he's doing much better now.

He wrote a message to the other players of the tournament which I really liked, and thought I'd share:
Assalamo Alaikum Everyone,

First of all, I want to thank everyone for your concern. It is a very good sign to see Muslims really caring for each other. Even the first aid people in Kirkland Rec were impressed with the initial treatment our brothers gave me. May Allah reward each of you. Alhamdulillah, by the grace of Allah, I am doing very well. The injury was only external, and the pain ended even before I reached the hospital. I didn't even have to wait long in the hospital before seeing the doctor. He put about 12 stitches, and Insha Allah, it should be healed in 7 - 10 days. I will likely return to work on Wednesday, and get back into a more normal routine.

It is our eman that whatever is supposed to happen to us, cannot be avoided. And whatever is supposed to miss us cannot reach us. This injury was Muqaddir from Allah, and it is just a test of patience and other qualities. Also, the Prophet (S.A.W) explained in one hadith that it never happens that anyone faces any hardship, not even a thorn prick in the foot, except that Allah uses it to either forgive his sins, or elevate his level in paradise. Also, going through pain helps us relate better to others who suffer more than us, and reminds us of how much we need to be thankful for the countless bounties we have been given. May Allah accept all of our deeds, forgive our sins, and give us success in this world and in the hereafter.

I look forward to seeing everyone again, and being ready for Season 7.


This was posted here, on the Great Hockey website.

I love West Island, and all the brothers there. I haven't seen a community quite like theirs anywhere else, and I often miss the days when I was among them.

2 comments:

  1. Assalaamu'alaykum wa rahmatuAllah

    Tahooran, insha'Allah. It is said that patience is in the moment, not afterwards. May Allah give him and the ummah tawfeeq, ameen.

    To add to your brother's insightful point mentioned in the hadith, Shaykh Anwar Al Awlaki said in a lecture once, "The imaan that you have in your heart today will be your light tomorrow." SubhanAllah.

    May Allah give your bro a swift recovery, ameen. Make sure he's well enough before he jumps into normal routine again, insha'Allah. (The body has its rights too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalaamu Alaikum :)

    Masha'Allah, my Allah Swt provide him with a quick recovery, insha'Allah. What a great attitude!

    His message reminded me of my class over the weekend. The Sister who teaches it mentioned the same thing. It is our Imaan to accept fate, the good and the bad. Not after the incident has occured but right there and then. If you are suffering through hardship, accept it then that this is from Allah Swt and only He (swt) knows what is best for us.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete