January 24, 2006

Morning

I woke up this morning and looked out the window as I always do. I looked upon the Canadian Parliament buildings, the famous Peace Tower rising above downtown office buildings. The flag perched above the tower blew in the wind, much like it has every other day.

Much has changed beneath that tower and flag, but the structure remains the same. The surroundings remain the same. The country looks the same. For the most part, the people have not changed. The government may have changed, but many things remain constant. My neighbours still smiled in the hallways. Strangers still chatted merrily on the bus. The Ottawa Senators beat the Maple Leafs again. Unfortunately, the Habs kept losing.

I stepped outside; the weather was warm, only a few degrees below zero. I slept well the night before; I was ready to put in a good days work.

The election may not have gone as I hoped, but things aren't so bad after all.

2 comments:

  1. I was on the subway today. When I got up, my winter scarf had fallen onto the ground without my noticing it. A girl picked it up, ran after me and handed it to me. Canadians haven't changed :) And hopefully they won't, even with the Conservatives in power.

    Alhamdulillah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what I'm talking about. The Conservative party may have a few more seats in Parliament than other parties, but this won't change the unique character of Canadians. We won't become narrow-minded, uncaring and intolerant all of a sudden just because a few people have shifted seats.

    We still have a lot to be proud of and a lot to be thankful for. Today, someone found your scarf and handed it to you; tomorrow, you'll be finding someones gloves and handing it back to them. They can change our Caucus, but they can't change our character. And that is really what Canada is all about.

    ReplyDelete