August 09, 2005

No thank you

I had just come back from a restaurant with my cousin when I witnessed another case of the racism that still unfortunately exists in this great country.

I was on my way back to my apartment building. I reached in my pocket to get my keys to open the front door, but this man got to his keys first and so he opened it instead. So me and my cousin walked through the door. The man then yells at us, "YOU'RE WELCOME."

I looked back at him, and he looked angry, presumably because I didn't thank him for unlocking the door.

"Haven't you f**king ever heard of manners?", he asked me. I smiled as I found that comment deliciously ironic.

I apologized for not thanking him for getting to the door first, and we all got in the elevator.

"You guys better f'in learn some manners," he reminded us in the elevator.

"Alright sir, I'll keep that in mind," I told him.

"That's right, f**k. SIR. Especially I'm a white-anglo in this country, so you f**kin' better be calling me sir. It's all going to hell, just like Nostradamus said. It's gonna end where it began."

After some more incoherent muttering and expletives, he reached his floor.

"Have a nice night, sir!", I called out.

"F**k off."

No comments:

Post a Comment